Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pastor Donnie McClurkin - Music


(C) 2014 by Rych McCain, All Rights Reserved. No part of this column may be reprinted, re-posted or duplicated without written permission from Rych McCain Media/Syndication. Violation is subject to applicable laws.


Pastor Donnie McClurkin - Music

By Rych McCain International/Nationally Syndicated Entertainment Columnist
www.twitter.com/rychmccain and Facebook (Like Me)


Some Photos STC

Pastor Donnie McClurkin

Debuts New Album “Duets”




       Pastor Donnie McClurkin has been through a life that many weaker people would have fallen through the cracks if they had to deal with what he had to endure. As a youngster things started to unravel when his two year old brother was hit and killed by a car because he was chasing after McClurkin who had run into the street to retrieve a ball with which they were playing. Subsequently the parents blamed him and his mom and dad began to fight with each other. At eight, McClurkin was molested by a great uncle and five years later molested by that same uncle’s son. As a result, several years of sexual orientational confusion resulted and as he described it, cast him in the hell of homosexuality. But with God’s mercy and grace as well as good spiritual guidance from men of faith, he overcame it and a serious health issue.


   
Pastor Donnie McClurkin
  McClurkin also had the burden of not fitting in as a child because he had no social or athletic skills and couldn’t do simple things like dribble a basketball but one common denominator he had in his favor was music. As a child McClurkin began to rely on church and the choir in particular as his haven and outlet. A chance meeting with gospel superstar Andre Crouch got him moving in the right direction. Also joining forces with another gospel superstar Pastor Marvin Winans literally let his career take off. McClurkin left his home in Amityville, NY. relocating to Detroit and served for ten years as assistant Pastor at Winans’ Perfecting Faith Church. Winans then sent him back to New York to start a Perfecting Faith church there. 

    
    
    Soon after McClurkin signed with several record labels releasing hit after hit that resulted in two gold and two platinum albums, a string of hit singles and numerous industry awards.



        
  On his newly released album “Duets,” McClurkin explains how two of this interviewer’s favorite cuts evolved. We’re talking “I Am Amazed” and “My Past.” On I am amazed, McClurkin explains, “I’m Amazed” came about from Bishop I.V. Hilliard down in Houston, Texas. He wrote that song and when I heard it at his birthday celebration about three years ago I was amazed. I was really touched by it and I don’t usually solicit other people’s songs but I went to him and said I got to have that song. His daughter Preshea sang it with Erica Campbell from Mary, Mary and when I heard it I really wanted that song. It just spoke to me and he said I could do it but I didn’t want to do it without his daughter because she is the one that made it come alive. I’m glad that it impacted people like it impacted me because it is a wonderful testimony of how I am in awe of God.” 
  
   
McClurkin continues, “Now ‘My Past,’ that’s a song that I wrote and I wrote it with Tramine (Hawkins) in mind because I’ve always been close to Tramaine and her husband Bishop Walter Hawkins. Since Walter’s passing three years ago, there’s nobody who could write for Tramaine like Walter Hawkins and when I wrote that song I wrote it with that kind of signature. The Lord gave the essence of what the song was going to say about the past has got to be gone in order for us to move into our future.” Is it tough being a pastor and having a music career at the same time? Than has got to be a plate full. McClurkin chuckles, “No not really because you have good people. You have good people on the road and in church with you who are geared to do what they are supposed to do.”

  
The old folks used to call secular music the so-called devil’s music and would ostracize anyone who sang outside of the church. Does McClurkin see a battle between secular and sacred music in light that the two seem to be merging closer together? He comes to life on this one saying “There is no battle between it at all. The secular is just that. It doesn’t deal with God or godliness. Sacred music deals with God and godliness. The secular musician and singer most likely comes out of the church so there is a link. I don’t believe those that are Christians should indulge in the secular music that doesn’t represent our lifestyle. But I do believe that those who are singing secular music can sing the music of the kingdom that represents the Christian lifestyle and value.”

© 2014 Rych McCain Media/Syndication TM 
(You DID Hear It From Me!) 
Twitter@rychmccain and Facebook (Like Me)