Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Mike Epps - Film


(C) 2014 by Rych McCain, All Rights Reserved. No part of this column may be reprinted, re-posted or duplicated without written permission from Rych McCain Media/Syndication. Violation is subject to applicable laws.

  Mike Epps - Film

By Rych McCain International/Nationally Syndicated Entertainment Columnist

Rych McCain, www.twtter.com/rychmccain and Facebook (Like Me)






Mike Epps

Dazzles In Repentance!

Photo by Lionsgate/Codeblack Films
 

   
Mike Epps as Ben Carter
 
He has been a funny man comic for a minute and you might expect to hear humorous lines from him on the big and little screens when he is acting but for his last several movies, Mike Epps has been showing us that his range is way grater than just comedy. In the re-make of the movie “Sparkle,” Epps shocked everybody with his portrayal of “Satin” who was the ruthless, thug, pimp comic and abusive boyfriend to “Sister” whom many saw as a sell-out to Blacks with his anti black jokes he told to his white audiences. As if that wasn’t off kilter enough, Epps’ character Willie Earl ended up being the voice of reason in “Jumping The Broom.” Now in his latest offering as Ben Carter in “Repentance,” Epps surprises us again with a solid performance as an ex-con, jilted brother who has always played second fiddle to his educated, successful book writer, therapist/spiritual advisor brother Tommy Carter who even took his girlfriend and married her. 


      Because this role and the movie were pretty serious and scary, how long did that role hang with Epps mentally? He laughs, “I have to go get a hair cut, take a couple of baths; you know the thing about doing these types of roles is that because I’m comedian, it’s a real challenge for me. When I stepped on the set and I saw Forest Whitaker I was like damn, I’m really in it. I’m real shocked they used me in it too.” When asked why? Epps says, “In Hollywood people have to believe in you to take a chance on you. They had to see something in me to say, you know what, he can do that. And not very many people are able to have an eye for it. I’ve done a couple of movies and stuff like that but I really, really feel like I have some layers to myself so it takes a very special person to be able to see something in a person.”

        
  As far as praises for this cast, Epps couldn’t express himself enough saying, “It’s amazing. I’m really thankful that I got such an opportunity to work with such great actors in Forest Whitaker, Anthony Mackie and Sanaa Lathan. I’m just really thrilled that I’m getting these opportunities because I do comedy all the time. I’ve done a lot of comedy movies with Ice Cube and stuff but to be able to break out of a mode and get a chance to challenge yourself and be versatile: it means a lot. It’s kind of like money vs. respect. I’ve been making a lot of money but I’ve been getting opportunities to do some stuff that could possibly keep me around for a long time.”



   This movie has the type of psycho violence that we don’t usually see from Black people. What is Epps’ take on that? He laughs again, “The thing about this movie is that it was a European movie “The Guru & The Gypsy” written by Philippe Caland which was shot previous to us doing it. I think when you get great actors together like Forest, Anthony and Sanaa, the color just disappears. You don’t look at it as an African-American film anymore, you look at it as a great film. I think the violence of it is what the film is and it keeps everybody on their toes walking around on egg shells.  


© 2014 Rych McCain Media/Syndication TM 
(You DID Hear It From Me!) 
Twitter@rychmccain and Facebook (Like Me)