Tuesday, October 1, 2013

KeKe Palmer - TV


(C) 2013 by Rych McCain, All Rights Reserved. No part of this column may be reprinted, re-posted or duplicated without written permission from Rych McCain Media/Syndication. Violation is subject to applicable laws.



KeKe Palmer - TV


By Rych McCain International/Nationally Syndicated Entertainment Columnist





KeKe Palmer

Plays Chilli In The TLC Story


Photos Direct TV/VH1/RMMS



    
KeKe Palmer
She has been gracing the big and little screens since the age of ten and quite convincingly at that. Almost fresh out of the gate KeKe Palmer was turning in performances that saw her nominated for many major awards and snagging a couple like four NAACP Image Awards. In a short career (Palmer is only 20), she has starred in over 14 films and many TV show guest roles including having her own Nickelodeon Television Series “True Jackson VP” for three seasons and is currently on The TV Series “Winx Club” playing Aisha. As if acting is not enough on her plate, Palmer is also a recording artist with a boat load of fun and saucy videos out and a new album in the works. The month of October will see her on screen with two new major projects.

     
    
Chan'dra (Palmer) in restaurant "Full Circle."
The first offering is a show is titled “FULL CIRCLE” and is a new type of combination drama/soap opera that is shot like a movie with 10 episodes that come to an ending. This format has never been done before and Direct TV being somewhat new to TV programming hopes this project will get them in the door and off to a good start to catch up with HBO, Netflex and the other distributors who entered the content production side of the market. On the show, Palmer plays Chan’dra Stevens whose gay high school age younger brother took his life after a joke that over-the-top and outlandish comic Jace (played by David Boreanaz) told which brought bullying and shame to him. 


    
Jace (David Boreanaz) in restaurant "Full Circle."
Their scene takes place in a restaurant where Jace invited Chan’dra to meet him to try and make amends. Palmer showcased an awesome display of mature, veteran acting chops in her scene with Boreanaz, flawlessly spiting out tons of lengthy dialogue that the scene required. But this is the high caliber of a script you expect from the series’ creator, co-producer and award winning screenwriter and playwright Neil LaBute. 

     Palmer’s appreciation for her “Full Circle” role is expressed when she explains, “I felt like this is something I’ve never done before. These are the types of things I need to be doing. I just felt like there’s growth and I can continue to grow as an actor and it is only going to challenge me that much further. This was challenging in the perfect way.” So does this mean the young Palmer is looking to do more adult roles? Her eyes twinkle, “I really do and I look for things that I’ve never done before.”  “Full Circle” premieres Wednesday, October 9 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Direct TV.
 

    
L-R: Drew Sidora (T-Boz), KeKe Palmer (Chilli) & Lil Mama (Left Eye.)
     Second on the menu is “Crazy, Sexy, Cool, The TLC Story.” Palmer plays TLC member Rozanda “Chilli” Thomas. The made for TV movie makes its premiere on Monday, October 21, 2013 on VH1.

   
KeKe Palmer as "Chilli"
Palmer was excited about this one. She is all smiles when she says “Again, I felt challenged because like “Full Circle,” I had never done something like that before. I’ve never had a romantic relationship on screen. They talk a lot about women’s issues, pressures and the choices that women have to make in their lifetime, not knowing if they are making the right ones. And there is that other thing about being a superstar before an audience. A lot of people don’t believe or realize that a lot of the stuff they were singing about, they went through and knew about it, they had experienced these things. I think the movie is going to make a lot of people’s eyes open and they are going to have a lot more appreciation for the group."


The real TLC: L-R; Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins, the late Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes and Rozanda "Chilli" Thomas






KeKe Palmer

         Hollywood seems to promote the negative stuff when it comes to child actors and entertainers when they grow up.  As an aspiring entertainer myself, I remember so many negative things that was and still is being told to me by my own family members.   To keep my sanity I seek out for role models that I can look up to that may not fit the typical TMZ report.   Because of that, one of my favorite role models is Keke Palmer.  She’s done so much in the industry and somehow stays out of the “Bad/Naughty Girl” Mix-Up with drugs and other Hollywood Shenanigans.   Since her film debut in “Akeelah and the Bee”, in 2006, I knew she was destined for stardom. 

      This may sound strange since I was about four years old at the time.  However, this was the same time that I performed one of my first comedy performances on stage.  I don’t remember much from that time in my life but I know that seeing her on the Big Screen, doing that Spelling Bee, is one of the reason’s I can stand in front of an audience and do comedy today.  I’m looking forward to its debut film to be aired in a few weeks.  I think Keke Palmer will be a perfect fit for playing Chilli in the group TLC.    For those critics, here’s a thought… wait to criticize before commenting about Keke playing the role.  Keke Palmer in my opinion can and will do an incredible job. 


Editor's note: 
To see Leroya's performance at the Beverly Hills Country Club click on www.youtube.com/watch?v=abb1bBcaDvg  or go to youtube and type in "Leroya Poetry & Comedy at the Beverly Hills Country Club."
To see her on ABC-TV's "The View"click on
www.youtube. com/watch?v=wf7y9joqIJI


© 2013 Rych McCain Media/Syndication TM 
(You DID Hear It From Me!) 
Twitter@rychmccain and Facebook