Monday, June 10, 2013

Kierra "KiKi" Sheard - Music


(C) 2013 by Rych McCain, All Rights Reserved. No part of this column may be reprinted, re-posted or duplicated without written permission from Rych McCain Media/Syndication. Violation is subject to applicable laws.


Kierra "KiKi" Sheard - Music


By Rych McCain International/Nationally Syndicated Entertainment Columnist
By Rych McCain, www.twitter.com/rychmccain and Facebook







Kierra “Kiki” Sheard

An Artist With A Clear Direction Ahead!


 
    The evening was growing late at “The 3100 Club On The Rooftop” on Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles where a birthday celebration for gospel singer Deitrick Haddon was in progress. The press was told to check-in by 7: PM and Haddon didn’t make his way into the door until almost 10: PM. 

  
Kierra "KiKi" Sheard
 



The highlight of the entire night for this columnist was the chance to chat with superstar gospel singer Kierra “KiKi” Sheard who was on hand to sing happy birthday to Haddon. 





   
The Late, Great Dr. Mattie-Moss Clark
 








  



 With all of the mega star power pedigree that the entire Clark family has built beginning with Sheard’s grandmother, master choir director, arranger, musician, song writer, composer and choir organizer; the late, great Dr. Mattie-Moss Clark whom many consider the Godmother of modern choir directing and vocal arranging. 






    
The original Clark Sisters
 


Not to mention Dr. Clark’s five famous daughters, “The Clark Sisters” i.e., Denise Clark Bradford, Jacky Clark Chisholm, Elbernita “Twinkie” Clark Terrell, Dorinda Clark-Cole and Karen Clark Sheard who have sold more hit records than any female gospel group in history. Not only have they sold records in the millions that have crossed over mainstream into dance music, pop and R&B; they are considered one of the true pioneers of contemporary gospel with composer, arranger, musician and producer “Twinkie” at the helm.


   
  


Sheard has a BA degree in English with a minor in Psychology from Wayne State in Detroit and has four albums out since becoming pro at age ten when she won a Stellar Award for “Best Children’s Performance” by appearing on her mom’s solo LP debut “Finally Karen” in 1977. That was followed with singing background for her aunties. 


  
Sheard’s sophomore album “This Is Me” debuted at #1 on the Billboard Gospel chart. Her biggest hit to date is “God In Me” with “Mary Mary” on their album “The sound.” 


   
The Sheard's L-R: Karen, J Drew II, Bishop, Pastor J Drew Sr., Kierra
The family has a reality TV show on BET called “The Sheards” which airs on Sunday’s 8PST/7CST. 



    
   What can we expect next from this young lady who knows where she is headed? Sheard smiles and says, “Actually, I just got off of a tour, “The United Is One” tour with James Fortune, VaShawn Mitchell and Zacardi Cortez. The Lord blessed us tremendously. It was an absolute amazing experience. Right now I’m working on a new record and its going really good. I’m excited to release the new music. It’s bigger and you can definitely hear my own journey of evolution through my music so I’m really excited.” 




    What kind of pressure (if any) was there coming up in a family that is so famous and has been for three generations? I also had to add if she has been taunted to out sing her aunties, a daunting task indeed? Sheard quickly snaps back, “Never, never and never will I try. I will never try to out sing them. But I think it is a responsibility and I take it as a challenge to be able to take the legacy outside of what they’ve done and of course to make God proud #1 but to also to make my aunts proud, to let them know that them sharing their platforms with me wasn’t done in vain and I would like to bring a smile to their faces. But my #1 priority is God. I just count it a blessing because it’s a lot of things I was able to learn without having to bump my head because I had people who had already bumped their heads for me. So I thank God for my family.” 

     I mentioned to Sheard that having been a devoted follower of her late grandmother and current family, I would love to see a dedication event to honor her legacy. I'm sure thousands of others will agree.


 © 2013 Rych McCain Media/Syndication TM 
(You DID Hear It From Me!) 
Twitter@rychmccain and Facebook