Thursday, December 25, 2014

DJ Young 1 - Stage





(C) 2014 by Rych McCain, All Rights Reserved. No part of this column may be reprinted, re-posted or duplicated without written permission from Rych McCain Media/Syndication. Violation is subject to applicable laws.


DJ Young 1 - Stage

By Rych McCain International/Nationally Syndicated Entertainment Columnist
www.twitter.com/rychmccain and Facebook (Like Me)

Photos by Catherine Plein

DJ Young 1
Smoking the 1’s And 2’s!


     We have been able to present some very smart, talented and gifted children and teen performers in the business through this column over the years such as KeKe Palmer, Chloe Grace Moretz, Zendaya Coleman, China Anne McClain and Caroline Sunshine to name some and I never cease to be amazed when another one comes along. They are far and few between because most youngsters don’t have a clue what their life’s calling is or might be. Most adults have no clue either.

DJ Young 1 (Nhandi Craig)
       Well 12 year-old Nhandi Craig PKA DJ Young 1 has never had a “What-Am-I-Going-To-Do” dilemma in her life. She knew almost from birth that she would be involved with music in some kind of way. Becoming a DJ proved to be that way. At age ten Craig became the youngest to graduate from The Scratch DJ Academy in Los Angeles which was founded by the late Jam Master Jay of Run DMC fame. She has gone on the work the wheels of steel at many parties, social and music industry functions.

   
DJ Young 1 on set with Queen Latifah (Ellen Craig photo)
 
Last spring Craig had the opportunity of a life time when she DJ’ed at The White House’s Annual Easter Egg Roll where she met President Barack Obama and family. She also appeared on The Queen Latifah Show as guest house DJ and was the in house DJ at The Grammys Gifting Suites. Other name events where she has plied her turntable skills include the annual NAMM Show, the Charivari Music Festival in Detroit and clubs too numerous to name. When asked about the uniqueness of her skills and how she navigates her way around the turntables Craig explains, “It’s all about the rhythm in your hands. You also need to know how to scratch, mix and be hyped. That’s all there is to it. Music is just in my blood and it is such a passion so I wanted to take it a different way. Actually I never, ever expected this until I was around nine that this would happen.”

   

        How did Craig get into DJ’ing so young? She says, “My mom encouraged me to do it. This all started based off of music. Like if you put DJ’ing on the side, you would still see me listening to music. It’s the number one thing that I do every day.” Before she became super serious about the craft of DJ’ing Craig was a master at the video game “DJ Hero” where she beat people several times her age who were veteran DJ’s. This caught her mom’s attention which led her to encourage her daughter to DJ on the for real side. Shortly after she enrolled and graduated from The Scratch Academy and began her journey into the real DJ world. 

    
     Craig broke it down how the experience of touching her first professional turntable at the academy affected her. She enthusiastically exclaims, “Every since I touched that record I’ve been inspired and it allowed me to change my personality. I actually opened myself and I can be myself around anybody no matter who it is. I was a really happy person. Before that I was really reserved and wasn’t into anything. You could say I was one of those average boring kids. I was just into music and video games which is unusual for a girl.”
   
      With several major accomplishments under her belt, Craig and her mom has a wall in their apartment that displays both ladies achievements such as their degrees, certificates, plaques and photos, especially the one with Craig and the President. When it comes to questioning her age Craig is adamant stating, “Adults ask me aren’t you to young and I respond saying that nobody is ever too young to do what they want to do. That is what I want to say to people who want to be inspired.” Needless to say that this young lady has a boat load of confidence, assurance in her abilities and talents and is going for nothing less than the absolute top of her game.


© 2014 Rych McCain Media/Syndication TM 
(You DID Hear It From Me!) 
Twitter@rychmccain and Facebook (Like Me)!

No comments: