Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Chloe Grace Moretz - Film


(C) 2013 by Rych McCain, All Rights Reserved. No part of this column may be reprinted, re-posted or duplicated without written permission from Rych McCain Media/Syndication. Violation is subject to applicable laws.


Chloe Grace Moretz - Film

By Rych McCain International/Nationally Syndicated Entertainment Columnist
By Rych McCain, www.twittercom/rychmccain and Facebook







Chloe Grace Moretz

Gives A Rebirth To Carrie!


Photos Courtesy of MGM/Screen Gems


    
   In 1974, an unknown book author name Stephen King had his first book published titled “Carrie.” It was a supernatural horror thriller about a shy teen girl named Carrie White who just didn’t fit in with the crowd at school. She had a super religious, over protective mother who sheltered her from the full-of-sin outside world. “Carrie” became King’s first best seller and two years later in 1976, it was made into a movie starring Sissy Spacek, Amy Irving, John Travolta, Nancy Allen, William Katt, Betty Buckley and Piper Laure as Carrie’s mother. Spacek and Laurie received Oscar® nominations for their roles. Needless to say, the original “Carrie” has become a horror classic and like all classic’s a re-make was inevitable. Now we fast forward to 2013 and a new “Carrie” has been made with Chloe Grace Moretz as Carrie and Julianne Moore as her psycho, over religious mom Margaret.

(R) Carrie (Moretz) being made to pray by (L) mom Margaret (Moore)


  
Carrie (Moretz) humbly walks the halls
   As in the original, Carrie doesn’t fit in at school and is an odd ball. As a result she is bullied and ostracized way beyond reasonable limits. This all leads up to the prom where one last mean thing is done and she leashes out with the full fury and wrath of her telekinetic powers. The central theme of this movie is the subject of bullying witch was relevant when the original movie was made and is still as relevant if not more today. 


    
Carrie walks away from Sue (Gabrielle Wilde)
Has Moretz encountered any real life experience with bullying? She elaborates, “I definitely have. I think anyone that’s different or lives a different type of lifestyle; I’ve seen it with my brothers and what they have gone through. I’ve dealt with it being an actor and take an understanding. You think that’s going to be a great thing because you want to be their friend you know. But no, you have people who don’t understand it (her celeb status) and are confused by it and are scared of it for some reason and they’re jealous of it. I think that everyone in their life has dealt with something like that. I think it would be silly to say that they haven’t you know? They’re always going to kick you.” 

   
    Playing the character of Carrie was very emotionally draining for Moretz as she had to run the gauntlet of feelings from fear, anger to uncertainty especially during the shower scene when she experiences her first menstrual cycle and doesn’t understand what is happening to her body. She thinks she’s dying and cries out to the other girls in the shower and they laugh at her.  Moretz explains, “I mean the whole movie was terrifying. What was crazy about that scene was they way it was written and the way it was her idea and her thoughts on how she literally thought she was dying. Its terrifying because no one knows the feeling of I’m about to die because usually when you are that close to death you die.” 

Shower Time
     Moretz describes that shower scene set saying “We had all of the smoke on the set. No one could breath, we were all coughing and it was really a horrible atmosphere to be in. I felt so uncomfortable, so cold and dirty from the ground, it was all wet and nasty but it worked so well and I was able to live through that.” 

Carrie in her prom dress
 









Carrie arrives at prom with Tommy (Ansel Elgort)










The prom assault with the bucket of pig's blood being dumped on her was the last draw and Carrie unleashed a deadly flurry of her telekinetic powers on them.
      Continuing with the subject of the multitude of emotions that Mortez had to deal with in this film, she elaborates, “Understanding emotions at 15 years old, I had been through a lot in my life. But I dealt with a lot of emotions that I hadn’t actually dealt with. I put them away. I had put them in a little box and said I’m OK. She (the film’s director), brought all of those emotions out unlocking my Pandora’s Box of emotions. Honestly, by the end of the movie, I became such an adult because I dealt with every vulnerability I had ever had in such an up front manner.”


 
Religious psycho mom with knife ready to attack
   Moretz gives a vivid example describing the scene with her mom attacking her; “We shot the death scene with Julianne for five days so I was crying for five days bleeding on the floor. By the fifth day my cheeks were like chafed from all the tears. You know it’s hard. My mom had to walk off set because she couldn’t listen to it anymore. Then two months later we came back and I shot more of the death for two days and my mom had to walk off set again!”

 

     As a special note; Moretz is part of Rych McCain’s media family having made my Hollywood’s Top Ten Talented Youth List in 2011 and will be on it a second time in 2013 at the end of this year. Congrats and you go Chloe!



© 2013 Rych McCain Media/Syndication TM 
(You DID Hear It From Me!) 
Twitter@rychmccain and Facebook